This page contains all information related to our research on the positive and negative externalities of US troop deployments abroad. All material on this page is based upon work supported by, or in part by, the Minerva Research Initiative, U.S. Army Research Laboratory and the U.S. Army Research Office under grant number W911NF-18-1-0087. Opinions and interpretations are those of the authors and not the Army or Department of Defense
Data and Documentation
The following series of documents and data stem from our research on the grant and contains what we have researched thus far.
- Survey Data (.csv, .dta, codebook, variable list)
- Qualitative Report, Wave 1.
- Map of countries surveyed by each firm.
- Protest Data (.csv, codebook)
- Allen, Michael A., Michael Flynn, Carla Martinez Machain, and Andrew Stravers. Forthcoming. “Outside the wire: U.S. troop deployments and public opinion in host states.” American Political Science Review. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003055419000868
Here is an active list of publications by the research team as it relates to both decision-making about troops deployments as well as the results of deployments. The list is in chronological order with recent publications listed first.
- Stravers, A., 2018. Pork, parties, and priorities: Partisan politics and overseas military deployments. Conflict Management and Peace Science.
- Flynn, M.E., Martinez Machain, C., Stoyan, A., 2018. “Building Trust: The Effect of U.S. Development-Oriented Troop Deployments on Public Opinion in Peru.” International Studies Quarterly.
- Bell, S.R., Flynn, M.E. and Martinez Machain, C., 2018. UN Peacekeeping Forces and the Demand for Sex Trafficking. International Studies Quarterly, 62(3), pp.643-655.
- Bell, S.R., Clay, K.C. and Martinez Machain, C., 2017. The effect of US troop deployments on human rights. Journal of Conflict Resolution, 61(10), pp.2020-2042.
- Allen, M.A., Flynn, M.E. and VanDusky-Allen, J., 2017. Regions of hierarchy and security: US troop deployments, spatial relations, and defense burdens. International interactions, 43(3), pp.397-423.
- Allen, M.A., VanDusky-Allen, J. and Flynn, M.E., 2016. The localized and spatial effects of US troop deployments on host-state defense spending. Foreign Policy Analysis, 12(4), pp.674-694.
- Allen, M.A.
andFlynn, M.E., 2013. Putting our best boots forward: US military deployments and host-country crime. Conflict Management and Peace Science, 30(3), pp.263-285.
- Martinz Machain, C. and Morgan, T.C., 2013. The effect of US troop deployment on host states’ foreign policy. Armed Forces & Society, 39(1), pp.102-123.